This interactive notebook includes everything you need to teach a unit on the Byzantine Empire in an engaging way! This resource covers the early Byzantine Empire through the decline and fall of the Byzantine Empire.
The organizers in this resource can be used on their own, or as a supplement to student note. Interactive notebooks are a great tool to keep students organized and engaged in the lesson!
These interactive notebooks are part of a larger BUNDLE of Medieval World History interactive notebooks & graphic organizers! Save 20% when you buy the bundle!
In this resource you will find…
• 16 graphic organizers: 14 with text on them, and 2 left blank for your own customization.
• 1 map of the Byzantine Empire at during its golden age
• 6 ½ pages of thorough suggested answers that you are free to use with these graphic organizers and flippables.
• Previews of each page in action for you or your students to reference.
• A cover page and table of contents is also included.
1. Key vocabulary – Justinian Code, Great Schism, Greek Orthodox Church, Constantinople, Justinian I, Theodora, silk road, Ecumenical Patriarch Hagia Sophia, mosaic, cyrillic alphabet, Kievan Rus
2. Constantine – early life, military career, early rule, civil war, foundation of Constantinople
3. Early period – Constantine-Valentinan Era, Theodosian Dynasty, Leonid Dynasty, Justinian Era, Heraclian Era, Twenty Years’ Anarchy
4. Justinian Era – Justin I, Justinian I, Justin II, Tiberius II, Maurice
5. Justinian Code – codex, digesta, institutiones, novellae
6. Fall of Rome – gradual decline, split in tow, Rome sacked, Rome falls
7. Middle Period – Isaurian era, Nikephorian dynasty, Amorian era, Macedonian era, Doukid era, Komenian era, Angelid era
8. Byzantine Iconoclasm – background, first period, second period, art, reaction
9. Arab-Byzantine Wars – Muslim conquests, stabilization, Byzantine resurgence, conclusion, results
10. East-West Schism – history, points of conflict, mutual excommunication, efforts at reconciliation
11. Byzantine culture – art, music, food, language
12. Hagia Sophia – building, architecture, history, collapse, 4th crusade, Turkish conquest, today
13. The Crusades – Alexios & the 1st crusade, John II, Manueal I, and the 2nd crusade, 4th crusade, crusader sack of Constantinople
14. Decline & Fall – collapse of the west, rise of Islam, Seljuk conquest of Anatolia, civil wars, rise of the Ottomans, fall of Constantinople
Please view the preview for an in-depth look at what is included in this resource!
Check out my other Medieval World History interactive notebooks: